Thursday, February 19, 2009

Self-Monitoring, Dog Frustration, and Man Tights

As the last entry had, this too, shall have 3 separate, unrelated segments. Reason? Nope. But we've got spaghetti. Aaaannd blankets. (hopefully whoever, if anyone, reads this gets that joke / reference)

Self Monitoring
The concept of "self-monitoring" is something that I was first formally introduced to in business school, but casually introduced to throughout my entire freaking life. Self-monitoring is essentially being aware of yourself in your surrounding circumstances, and acting in a way that's consistent with how you hope to be perceived. In some ways, self-monitoring theory has some negative connotations, in that if you are a "high" self monitor, you adapt frequently in order to have certain people hold you in different regards. For me however, what self monitoring boils down to is acting civilized, humble, and carrying yourself in a way that keeps you from overwhelming others. Essentially, I believe the idea of self-monitoring has a place in my personality, but not in the sense that I adapt depending on my surroundings; I consciously make an effort to conduct myself consistently in different venues.
The point of bringing it the whole idea up is, I'm reading a book called Why We Hate Us, which isn't so much about self-hate as it is a commentary about why we as Americans hate certain parts of our "American" lifestyle. I'm not a big Anti-American, but I am a huge advocate of self-deprecation, so I'm reading it, and analyzing my life with what is hopefully an appropriate amount of credence to the social commentary.
Anyway - my point is, the author presents the ideas of "selfism" and the devolution of concrete, objective lifestyles - how most of us really operate more off of our "feelings" rather than any solid identity or set of principles. A manifestation of this type of lifestyle is - GASP - blogging. And here I am, actively participating in one of the most concrete examples of "selfism." I really hope I'm not a "selfist" as described in the book, but very well may be. But just considering the idea that I may in fact be a selfist seems to suggest otherwise, OR it may suggest the problem is even bigger than I know. Please advise.

Dog Frustration
My dog, generally speaking, is the coolest. She's a German Shepherd that I got from a rescue when she was 4 months old. She listens to me more than any other dog I've ever come across, and is very protective of me when she thinks it's appropriate. That being said - today I am very frustrated with my dog. Last night, she ate a little more than usual, so this morning I walked her for a while longer to make sure she did all her business before I left for work.
Long story short, when I came home from work today, it became apparent that sometime during the day, my dog unleashed what can only be accurately described as a tsunami of feces, vomit, and some sort of hybrid on my kitchen floor. No particular reason for sharing other than the fact that it took literally 45 mins to clean correctly, and I am frustrated that my usually considerate pal was inconsiderate today. (I realize she couldn't control it. Zip it - it was gross to clean, so there it was)

Man Tights
Quickly - last weekend, I went for a run with 3 of my friends. The guy on the run closest to my age showed up wearing, literally, under armour tights with relatively small mesh shorts over top. If this guy were a particularly serious runner - I would have let this slide. However, this guy is decidedly NOT a serious runner, and I question why he would even own such attire. Additionally, when I made a completely inappropriate comment about him and his figure (which was no longer a secret to anyone) he countered by telling me how ridiculous it was that I was wearing a bandana to contain my blagoiavic-esq hair helmet. News flash friend - 1.) you are not a super-hero, tights are inappropriate, no matter the event, 2.)a bandana is practical, while tights are extremely risque, 3.) you are wrong. stop wearing tights.

No comments:

Post a Comment